Lack of time is the number one reason people cite as to why they stop exercising. You are not too busy to work out; you just need to make your workouts efficient. Instead of doing an hour of cardio and then strength training incorporate High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), this type of intense workout keeps our metabolism elevated days after the session! A fast metabolism means more fat loss. So if you but are pressed for time, HIIT is the best way to train.
You don’t need to go to the gym; you are the only equipment you need for a great workout. Below is an 8 minute workout you can do anywhere with no equipment but you & a stopwatch!
Warm Up: 1-minute jog in place, 1-minute jumping jacks
Perform each of the following exercises for one minute:
- Jump Squats (regular squats)
- Push Ups (modified push ups with knees on mat)
- High Step Ups: Use a sturdy chair or bench that when you place your foot squarely on it your knee is at a 90-degree angle.
Step up for 30 seconds leading with the right foot, then the left, bringing both feet completely onto the bench. Switch legs and repeat for 30 seconds on the other side.
- Burpees (Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you and kick your feet back to a pushup position-immediately return your feet to the squat position- leap up as high as possible from the squat position)
- Plank: Lie face down on the floor or face your mat on your knees. Place your palms so that your shoulders are aligned with your wrists close to your head. Push off the floor, raising up off your knees onto your toes and spreading your fingers and pressing down with your palms. Contract your abdominals and pull your belly button in to keep yourself up and prevent your booty from sticking up.
- Jump Rope
*Listening to your favorite high-energy music while exercising not only makes exercise more fun, studies show that people exercise at a higher intensity when they listen to music.
Wishing you a HEALTHY, HAPPY New Year!